May 07, 2013

The Burnham Plan and the End of McCormickville

2 comments

The gleaming White City of the World’s Columbian Exposition made Daniel H. Burnham, architect, into a city planner.

Some may say this White City of Burnham’s was a dream short-lived—intended to be temporary, it was destroyed by fire and mostly dismantled not long after the closing of the fair. But you can’t deny that it was still a pretty amazing dream. The fairgrounds’ integrated transportation, sanitation systems, beautiful landscaping, and sweeping classical architecture inspired the reformist City Beautiful movement, in which urban social ills were addressed with American Progressive ideals and European Beaux Arts style.

Grand Basin World's Columbian Exposition Chicago 1893
World’s Columbian Exposition: Grand Basin, Chicago, United States, 1893. Grand Basin [photographed during illumination; at night]. Brooklyn Museum Archives, Goodyear Archival Collection (S03_06_01_016 image 2206).

Burnham, who was of course a major leader of the City Beautiful movement, created or contributed to plans for the cities of Cleveland, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Manila and Baguio in the Philippines. A plan for his own city, Chicago, was completed in 1909.

Speaking generally, we call it the Burnham Plan, but the Plan of Chicago was created by Burnham with the architect and future city planner Edward H. Bennett, under the direction of the Commercial Club of Chicago. It called for, among many other things in a document of over 150 pages, changes to our rail systems, city parks and squares, an improved lakefront with a yacht harbor, transportation and highway systems to solve congestion, and “impressive groupings of public buildings” to communicate the city’s dignity.

For our purposes in this blog post, there was also the simple matter of a bridge. This bridge would link Michigan Avenue, a busy little street south of the Chicago River, to the quiet little residential Pine Street north of it. Pine Street would also be widened significantly; Burnham envisioned Chicagoans strolling along a broad, Parisian boulevard extending as far as the eye can see.


From Plan of Chicago: Paris, Avenue des Champs Élysées, from the Place de la Concorde, showing the Arc de Triomphe in vista; view west; from a published source. Image via Without Bounds or Limits: An Online Exhibition of the Plan of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago.


Plan of Chicago, “Michigan Avenue, looking towards the south.” Image via Without Bounds or Limits: An Online Exhibition of the Plan of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago.

For McCormickville, that bridge—and the transformation of Pine Street into an extension of Michigan Avenue—meant huge changes.

If you have taken our walking tour, you know that McCormickville is the historic nickname of the neighborhood immediately surrounding the Driehaus Museum. Sally Sexton Kalmbach, the wonderful Chicago historian who leads the tour, loves to say that “McCormickville has had nine lives.” And one of those early lives was as a quiet, residential enclave for Chicago’s wealthy elite—business industrialists, judges, ambassadors, bankers, and the like (including, of course, many members of the McCormick family). The architecture was marvelous, with Richardsonian Romanesque residences, Empire-style mansions, and stone cathedrals.

In 1920, when the Michigan Avenue Bridge and expansion of Pine Street were completed, a new life would begin in the neighborhood.

Prior to 1920, the easiest way across the Chicago River from this neighborhood was at the narrow, tendered Rush Street Bridge. Travel across in both directions would become terribly congested and inconvenient, and that kept things pretty quiet around here. 

Rush Street Bridge, 1910, Chicago
Rush Street Bridge, 1910, Chicago. Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago.

The bridge was a feat of engineering and, in line with the Plan‘s mission to solve congestion in the city, had far greater capacity. Designed by young Bennett, it is a bi-level bascule bridge. The two levels allowed for far more foot and vehicular traffic to pass through, eliminating jams at the Rush Street bridge and elsewhere along the riverfront, but also swung upward to allow water traffic, allowing commercial boats to continue unhindered. The bridge still exists today, both as a Chicago landmark and busy thoroughfare carrying thousands across the river, in cars and on foot, daily.

Illustration of 1909 Plan of Chicago Michigan Avenue
Illustration of Michigan Boulevard and bridge as proposed in Burnham & Bennett’s 1909 Plan of Chicago, looking north.

Michigan Avenue bridge construction
Michigan Avenue Bridge construction. Board of Local Improvements: City of Chicago (1921).span>

Michigan Avenue Bridge historic photo
Plate 399 from Bridges; a study in their art, science and evolution, by Charles S. Whitney, 1929.

The construction incurred some immediate architectural losses for the greater good. The widening of narrow Pine Street into a Parisian-style boulevard required that the houses lining it had to be removed, piece by piece. The most famous of these was the Perry H. Smith house, a stunning white marble mansion with a mansard roof on the corner of Pine and Huron.


Stereoscopic view of the Perry H Smith residence at Pine (Michigan Ave) and Huron, c.1890, Chicago.

Inside the Perry H. Smith residence was a little theater in addition to the usual reception rooms, and, in the butler’s pantry, three faucets over a sink: one for hot water, another for cold water, and the third, in the center, for sparkling Champagne. In the photo below, people in a 1918 version of a double-decker tour bus watch as it is carefully dismantled.


Image courtesy of Sally Sexton Kalmbach.

By 1925, the Chicago Plan Commission reported that the new bridge was carrying seven times the traffic as the (dismantled) Rush Street bridge had. Two halves of the city became one, as it were, and property values north of the Chicago River rose (which Burnham predicted in a letter to Bennett, here). The wide boulevard paved the way for development and, eventually, a bustling commercial and office district—which, as Sally would say, several lives later, became the Magnificent Mile. It lost its residential nature, as many of McCormickville’s elite inhabitants began to drift northward away from the bustle—to the Gold Coast or beyond—for a more suburban feel. Except for Anita McCormick, who stayed in her Rush Street residence until her death in the 1950s—the McCormick descendents were also among those who sold their mansions, taking their name with them.

For further reading, “The Plan of Chicago,” on the Encyclopedia of Chicago website, is an enormous resource for the inspiration, planning, and implementation of the 1909 Burnham Plan. HistoricBridges.org has a detailed page detailing the Michigan Avenue, now called the DuSable, Bridge.

< Back to overview

Comments:

by Arthur Miller on May 08, 2013 | at 09:22 PM | my website

Indeed, a new seasonal McCormickville developed north of Fort Sheridan in south Lake Forest by early in the 20th C., and even Anita McCormick Blaine, sharing with her mother after 1916, had a place there for the outdoors six months of the year (well, perhaps not this year!).  also, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. at Walden, Harold at Villa Turicum, Hall on the lakefront at Mayflower Road, Cyrus Adams, Jr. south of the Onwentsia Club, on Onwentsia Rd., William McC. Blair at Crab Tree Farm, and Lucy Blair Linn (Blair’s sister) just south of Shoreacres in Lake Bluff.  Cyrus III remodeled the Stanton place on Spruce (1920s), and Richard Bentley, son of Anita’s lawyer Cyrus Bentley, by the 1920s lived on Lake Road (1421).

by Danny Christian on August 18, 2013 | at 07:33 PM | my website

In doing some research on Baguio, I ended up reading up on Burnham and of course ended up at your site. There is a park there named Burnham Park in memory of Daniel Burnham who as you mentioned, was the city planner.




News

September 13, 2016
‘Giant Gems of the Smithsonian’ Now Open in Dallas

The exhibition opened last Friday at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science, and includes a 56-carat amethyst necklace circa 1915 by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Read more

August 13, 2016
The National Historic Preservation Act Commemorates 50 Years

President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the NHPA into law on October 15, 1966, to encourage Americans to identify and preserve our nation’s cultural and historic resources. Read more

Featured Program

Santa Saturdays 2017
Saturdays, December 2, 9, and 16

Art projects, lively story time, and sing-a-longs provide fun for the entire family. Don't forget to have your picture taken with Santa Claus! Read more

Featured Program

Glitter & Gold Holiday Brunch 2017
Sunday, December 10

Gather with family and friends to enjoy a lovely brunch including a Prosecco toast, elaborate buffet, and live music. In the spirit of the season, tables will be shared. Read more