The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass at Navy Pier
Please Note: The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass at Navy Pier will be closing permanently, effective May 28, 2017. At this time there are no plans to display the artworks at another location.
Louis Comfort Tiffany
Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933) was the son of Harriet Olivia Young and Charles Lewis Tiffany, founder of Tiffany & Co. He began experimenting with stained glassmaking by the 1870s and revolutionized the art form in the years that followed, earning international fame for his innovative use of glass. His New York-based firms are still associated with unsurpassed beauty and originality.
The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass
The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass, located near the tip of Chicago’s Navy Pier, immerses visitors in darkened rooms bathed in the glow of 11 of Tiffany Studios’ stained glass windows, ranging from ecclesiastical to secular landscapes. Each displays the ways Tiffany Studios reinvented tradition, using embedded colors and new types of glass to create folds, ripples, and other textures that gave life to each scene.
Location and Hours
The Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass is located on the lower level terraces of Festival Hall near Entrance 2, 600 East Grand Avenue, on Chicago’s Navy Pier. Current hours of operation are Sundays through Thursdays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission to the gallery is free.
For more information please visit the Navy Pier website.
If you are having trouble locating the Gallery please call 312.482.8933 ext.21 for assistance.
Photograph by John Faier, © The Richard H. Driehaus Museum, 2013.
The Richard H. Driehaus Museum embodies the highest ideals of preservation, conservation, and restoration. Between 2003 and 2008, Richard H. Driehaus supported a meticulous restoration of the historic Samuel M. Nickerson House. Read more
The History of the Samuel M. Nickerson Mansion
In 1879, Chicago banker Samuel Mayo Nickerson commissioned a new house from the architectural firm of Burling and Whitehouse of Chicago. Read more